Monday, June 26, 2006

Day 17: Friday, June 16

Well, today we went to do some hiking and to see the Matanuska glacier. It is about a two hour drive to the glacier. I really have seen enough glaciers but I thought it would be a nice drive and one gets to get up really close to this one. So we started the day by going to Wal-Mart to get some snacks, film and batteries.
Of course it was cloudy and there was rain off and on. It seems like the sun doesn’t like to make an appearance when me and mom decided to do something. Bah-humbug. We hiked this really easy trail called Thunder falls. It is easy and promised a great view of a canyon and a waterfall. Well, it was really a nice hike. It was really peaceful and the waterfall was beautiful. But the mosquitoes!!!! They were horrible! And of course mom always wears black so that decided that she must be resting place. But that woman never gets bitten. They prefer me for some odd reason. But luckily I ended up with only one bite.
The drive there was spectacular as all the drives around here are. The landscape was really different from the other place that I have gone. It was so much greener. It took us forever to get to the glacier because I had to stop a gazillion times to take pictures! I took two rolls of pictures! I am going to have to have a whole scrapbook just for my Alaska photos.:) So we finally get to the glacier area and it was a big temperature drop. And getting there was crazy. It was up and up and up a mountain road with a big ass river on the side with no guard rail. Lovely. I was a wee bit nervous looking down. Hey, I live in Florida and I’m from the Midwest. We don’t have roads like this! And of course the people who are from here are passing us like crazy.
So we go and take pictures and then decided to go and see the darn thing. Well the glacier is actually on someone’s land and not government owned. To see the glacier it is $13 dollars a person. A bit much if you ask me but whatever. We are driving down this road and my mom actually turned around. There was no way we were going down there. Maybe if we had a truck but it looked sketchy. We asked the woman at the store and she said it “seemed” safe. Well, not enough for me lady. And if my mom thinks she can’t do it, I listen. Nothing scares my mom. She is a tough ex-Army woman. So we nixed the Glacier. We saw if from the road so that was good enough for us. We drove a little further up the road just to see the mountains. Then we drove home and guess who decides to make an apperance. The sun, it seems to dislike me here in Alaska. Oh, I did get to see a moose and her baby. The little baby moose was so cute!!!!

2 Comments:

At 28 June, 2006, Blogger Aisha said...

I have always wanted to go to Alaska!! I cant wait till you upload some pictures :)

"I really have seen enough glaciers" <-- lol! sadly though with the way global warming is occuring they wont be around long.

 
At 28 June, 2006, Blogger pixie said...

Aisha: It is amazing here and I hopefully will be able to make it back someday. already have 8 rolls of film to develop!!
Of course it's nothing like Brazil!:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home