Sunday, June 11, 2006

Day 9: Thursday, June 8

Well we got up bright and early this morning and headed to Seward, AK to take a boat ride. I was pretty excited! The day was chilly and overcast but I didn’t mind. I know that this is a place that you have to adapt too. It isn’t like home where it is sunny and if it does rain you know it will be sunny in an hour.
The trip to Seward was gorgeous to say the least. I have never seen anything as beautiful as Alaska and I think that it can’t become any more spectacular I am proven wrong. I am still amazed to see snow on the ground in June. Well we arrived at our destination a tad bit earlier than we expected. (Surprising since I stopped so many times to take photos). So we were going to just take a half day cruise but found out that we wouldn’t see the tidewater glaciers. Well, that is what I really wanted to see so we decided to take the all day cruise.
We had sometime to kill so we had to pick up a hat for me because I was freezing. My mom is sweating and I am freezing my bum off. Now that never happens. My mom is usually the cold one. We found this very cute place to get some coffee and figure out how to kill some time. Well, we just took a little walk around town to look into the shops and we saw where the Itarod race begins. Not really sure if I spelled that right or not.
While waiting to board the boat we were greeted by a cute little sea otter. He was adorable!! I love sea otters. I was really hoping to see some Orcas but of course luck wasn’t on my side today. I did however see two humpback whales!!!! I didn’t get a good picture with my digital but I did get some with my regular camera. I do hope they turn out! I also got to see three Billie goats, two bald eagles, another sea otter with her baby, puffins and harbor seals. We only saw one glacier, Bear Glacier. The sea was too choppy to see the tidewater glacier. I was highly disappointed to say the least. That was one of the things on my to see list!! But they did refund us some money back and we found another place to go see glaciers. We should have gone there to begin with but someone said that Seward was the best place to see wildlife.
On the way back me and mom decided to do some hiking to see Exit Glacier. It was a really easy hike and we got to see the glacier up close. I have to say the smell of the forest was amazing. I have never smelled anything like it. I wish I could bottle that scent up!
On the way back home we also got to see a moose on the side of the road! You should see how many people pull over for something! It was too funny! He was huge with big full horns. I was worried that I wouldn’t see any wildlife and I have seen almost everything! I have to say I had a pretty amazing day!

1 Comments:

At 14 June, 2006, Blogger Cindi said...

Wow! Sounds like you are having an amazing trip! mmmm, the fresh smell of forest--i really miss that about Minnesota too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home