Sunday, July 23, 2006

The grass is always greener...

As strange as it sounds, I miss Alaska. I couldn’t wait to get home. During the drive I hated life. I was having lots of fun and seeing cool things but with the cramped quarters and my mom’s cat it made things really tough sometimes. Not to mention the COLD. Well, cold for me. It was nice during the days once we hit British Columbia but the nights and early morning were still freezing! Now I wish that I could go back and do the things that I missed and take an RV and really take my time. I miss the mountains, the wildflowers, and the wild animals that I would spot. My mom gave me the name “eagle eye” because I could spot an animal like there was no tomorrow. Joking that I would either make a great hunter back in the day or a really good Labrador. Hahaha.
I think this was a great experience though. I think I have gotten to safe in life and afraid
to try new things. I surprised myself as I hiked up Flattop Mountain in Anchorage. I wanted to go but only part way. I’m a wee bit afraid of heights and as I saw how steep and high the top was I told mom, “Only part of the way, Ok?”. But I found myself just doing it. I mean there was a moment of whatthehelldidIgetmyselfinto. But I did it without injury, without crying or being a baby! Of course it really wasn’t that big of a climb to others but to me it was.
I am truly amazed at what some people do to live there. I mean really it isn’t an easy life if you ask me. Even if you live in the city. Things are more expensive and one doesn’t have the choices that the lower 48 does. And I can’t even imagine living outside the cities. The work that it would take to make it through the winter would drive me crazy.
Well, I will have awesome memories and hopefully I will soon return. I just found out that my friend’s fiancé’s mom has a cabin in Alaska! It would be so cool if they bought it!!!!
I hope that my pictures turn out. I have 27 rolls of film. Seriously. I will have like three freaking scrapbooks of Alaska. Yes, I was a tad bit picture happy and I will probably have way to many photos of moose. And bears. I saw 4 bears on the drive back home in British Columbia!!! But everything was so beautiful I just couldn’t help myself.

On another topic I have wedding fever. Yes, I hate to admit this but I do. *Sigh* I never thought I would be one of those women. You know what I’m talking about. I use to say I wanted nothing big, blah, blah, blah. Well, I guess that changes when you realize that you have your other half. It doesn’t help that everyone around me is getting married. Well, at least it isn’t baby fever.

2 Comments:

At 24 July, 2006, Blogger *krystyn* said...

glad ur back!!!

 
At 04 August, 2006, Blogger pixie said...

Thanks!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home